Painting from Photographs
Rebecca paints using photographs for reference and inspiration, yet most portraits draw on several sources. Collecting a few of your favorite shots of the subject is a great way to start the conversation, even when one image in particular stands out for its special meaning. In addition to being handy as references, your photos help Rebecca see the subject through your eyes and ultimately paint a more meaningful portrait.
- Photos for Portraits of People
- For portraits of people, it often works best to do a photo shoot. Rebecca will meet you to take photos, which usually takes one to two hours. Proper lighting, angle and composition are critical for a good rendering of the human face.
- Photos for Pet Portraits
- You know your pet best, and because they can often be either too excitable or shy around someone new, it usually makes sense for you to take your own photos. Please share your favorite pet photos, and Rebecca will happily offer advice on taking the ideal portrait reference. If you’re local to the Seattle area, Rebecca is also available to take help out in person.
- Photos of Special Moments
- Sometimes a snapshot is all that is left of a cherished memory, and a commissioned painting can be a great way to give that moment new life.
Just get in touch with Rebecca to get started!
Give a Portrait Painting as a Gift
Portraits make wonderful gifts! They can be intimate, celebratory, or playful, depending on what you want your gift to say. Receiving a portrait is a powerful experience, and the portrait itself only becomes more meaningful with time.
Portrait gift certificates make a flexible and unique gift. They make a great gift on short notice, with the option of involving the recipient in the process. Details of the portrait do not need to be worked out ahead of time, and the price can be kept secret as you prefer.
Prices and Payment
Pricing Guide (Without Framing)
|Size||Single Figure||Single Pet|
|4” x 4” and smaller||$625||$425|
|8” x 8”||$1250||$850|
|12” x 12”||$2000||$1300|
|16″ x 20″||$3100||$2000|
|20” x 24”||$4000||$2500|
|24” x 36”||$5100||$3200|
|36” x 48”||$7200||$4400|
Prices vary depending on the details of the work. Multiple figures and complex backgrounds increase the price. In general, additional pets add 20%, and an additional human figure adds 50%.
The price is broken into two or three equal payments. The first payment reserves your place in the calendar, and the last payment is due when the artwork is finished.
Portrait Commission Schedule
Portrait commissions are booked out about a year in advance. If you have a deadline that is under or close to a year, contact me right away and we can do a gift voucher or get you portrait in the queue before someone else takes your slot. My upcoming commissions schedule is listed below and can be found at the footer of each page of the website.
June – Pet portrait of Lucy for Molly
June – Surprise pet portrait for Sally
August- Surprise portrait of Fifi
September – Portrait of Merritt & Mocha for Michele
November – Surprise pet portrait for Tony
December – Surprise horse portrait for Kady
February- Portrait of Vibey