Vanitas, Limited Edition Print
- 6″ x 6″ image size, 8″ x 8″ paper size
- Printed on high quality acid-free Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl paper
- Signed and numbered limited edition of 50
- Comes with Certificate of Authenticity signed by the artist
- Shipping included in the US and Canada. Reduced shipping everywhere else.
About the Painting…
Vanitas paintings were created long before and after they became a common genre in Netherlandish art of the 16th and 17th centuries. They are symbolic and are meant to remind us of the inevitability of death or change.
My grand show of color and life punctuates the shift toward winter, one last “Hurrah!” from the warmer seasons. The hint of the coming winter is found in the tiny, almost hidden hummingbird skeleton. But if you dig into the meaning of the items in the painting, you’ll find that both the cut flowers and skeleton symbolize the same things – death or transience. The cut flowers are preserved my painting in full bloom glory, but they began to fade even before I’d finished the paintings. But don’t worry, the butterflies are a symbol of regeneration, resurrection and the cycle of life. Everything’s going to be just fine.